How can I reach millennials on social media?
Recently, we had some clients ask us to coach them on how to reach millennials with social media. Here’s what our resident millennial said:
Instagram, Instagram, Instagram.
Instagram is definitely the place to start reaching more millennials. But Instagram is like your website: just because you have it doesn’t mean people will come. You have to be strategic about posting if you want to be found.
Whoever manages your account should use lots of hashtags. Up to 30 hashtags are allowed on every post. Hashtags make it easy for new people to find and follow you because people use hashtags to search for the topics they’re interested in.
It’s a community.
Connect with your followers by tagging them and liking their posts. You could even ask them to tag their friends ( i.e. “Tag a friend who you want to share our candy with!”). Ask customers to show off their photos of your products (you could even host a photo contest: just ask everyone to use the same hashtag on their submissions). And always respond to comments even if they’re negative! People like to know that you’re listening.
More posting ideas:
If you need ideas, here's a quick list to get your started:
- Take pictures of your process.
- Show off finished projects.
- Brag about your awesome employees.
- Include short video loops.
- Post exclusive deals for your Instagram followers.
For even more ideas, check out this list on Wishpond!
Let people know you're on Instagram.
You might consider introducing your Instagram account on your Facebook page or in an eblast just to make your existing customer base aware of it. Include a few fun pictures in the eblast just to peak people’s curiosity. A lot of your older customers probably use Facebook rather than Instagram, but younger people are going to be more active on Instagram. After the eblast, try to capture new followers using hashtags.
I don’t expect this to translate into immediate sales, but it does puts you on the millennial radar.
Inc. Magazine: 5 Instagram Tips Every Small Business Owner Should Know
- When a logo is wrong
- Just trust me
- What is branding
- The New Logo
- Empower Your People
- Publicity and Your Brand
- What is debranding
- Ten things branding will do
- The peril of initials for a company name
- Type Tips
- An Introduction to Design
- Brought to you by the letter g
- How simple is simple
- Design is art with a purpose
- Design hurts
- Freedom in limitations
- The difficult client
- Why you need content to build trust
- Start your strategy with a question
- The CRM Circle
- The Marketing Cycle Simplified
- Can social media attract new customers
- Reaching Millennials with Instagram
- Free Ways to Build Your Donor Base
- Twitter is a business tool
- Wordpress Theme Frameworks
- What the Internet is doing to our Brains
- Web Basics
- Advice for NonProfits
- Write Welcoming Copy
- How to Write Welcoming Web Copy
- Is Web Design Dead
- Web Design Our Process
- Is content dead
- How your website can get noticed
- 4 Tips for Writing Great Web Content
- Domain Name Registrars
- How the Web works
- Domains and Web hosts